Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday Special: pack up and go

We've been packing. Packing the whole weekend, because in a week, we leave for our trip around Australia.
It's so exciting, even though the packing is exhausting.
There's 2 categories of packing - stuff for storage, stuff for caravan trip.

What's hardest to work out, is what to take for the 4 months. We'll be going through different seasons and in places where it's warm in the day, but cold during the night.
And even though it's technically camping, surely there is still a need for options on essentials (perhaps 4 different face moisturisers is too much?).

But the process of  packing up for storage gets me to wondering...

Why on earth do I have that many things in my bathroom cupboard?
Why do we have so many wine glasses?
How did I fill an entire vase with lip glosses and balms?
What was I planning to do with all the birthday cards I have kept from the last 5 years?
Perhaps my husband was right when he said I have a scarf for everyday that it gets cold in Sydney (all 35 of them).

I think the packing has led to some sort of self-discovery that can only mean (and all equally terrifying):

1. I buy too much stuff (surely not)
2. My sentimentality is leading me to be a hoarder (omfg)
3. I have some sort of addiction to having options

As a result I've been fairly ruthless in the op-shop handover and have worked against my usual self in deciding what to take on the trip.

Husband man and I have decided on no TV for the van - it's digital radio, ipod and the interwebs and I've got about 30 books I haven't read + some board games.

I've still got too much stuff in the 'taking with' pile (the 6 hoodies are clearly not necessary) but I can do one final cull before we actually depart.
Maybe.



Unfortunately, one thing in the 'not taking with' is our Kiki.
We thought she would be ok to travel after doing lots of research, but her vet has advised that it's best for her to stay in a more permanent home for the 4 months.

This is Kiki in packing protest:



So she'll be looked after by Husband man's lovely brother and wife + their two daughters.
I just know that she'll be thrilled about being dressed up by the girls and carted around the house in shopping bags!!
I am so thankful she'll be staying with family and that they're excited to have her.
Our nieces have already made her a special box house with streamers and a blanket - welcome to your new home Kiki!

So here's to packing and by default, a bit of spring cleaning. I reckon there's nothing quite like moving house to force a bit of life clean-out.

Here comes fun....

No comments:

Post a Comment